Counter-Terror Operations Kill 12 in Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

At least 12 militants were killed and several others wounded in separate intelligence-led operations carried out by security forces in Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa on Sunday.

According to the military’s media wing, security forces conducted an intelligence-based operation in Balochistan’s Kalat district, resulting in the death of four militants. The Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said the action was launched a day earlier after intelligence indicated the presence of militants linked to Fitna-al-Hindustan, a term used by the state for Balochistan-based separatist groups.

The ISPR stated that troops successfully engaged the militants’ hideout and, following a heavy exchange of fire, four Indian-backed terrorists were neutralised. Weapons and ammunition were recovered from the site, and the slain militants were reported to be involved in terrorist activities in the area.

The military added that follow-up clearance operations are underway to ensure no remaining militants are present. It reiterated that Pakistan’s counter-terrorism drive under the “Azm-i-Istehkam” framework, approved by the Federal Apex Committee as part of the National Action Plan, would continue at full intensity to eradicate foreign-sponsored terrorism from the country.

The Kalat operation followed another IBO reported by the ISPR a day earlier in Balochistan’s Panjgur district, where four militants belonging to Fitna-al-Khawarij — a designation for the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) — were killed.

Karak operation

In a separate incident in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Karak police spokesperson Shaukat Khan said eight militants were killed and several accomplices injured during an intelligence-based operation in Karak district. Police moved into action after receiving credible information about militant presence in the rugged terrain of Banda Daud Shah tehsil.

The operation, led by District Police Officer Saud Khan, involved a prolonged exchange of fire in the mountainous area, during which eight militants were eliminated and their hideouts destroyed. Counter-Terrorism Department commandos, supported by intelligence agencies, assisted the police during the operation.

The spokesperson added that militants attempted to retrieve the bodies of their dead companions, triggering another gun battle that continued for several hours.

Peace committee member injured

Separately, in Lakki Marwat district, a member of a local peace committee was injured when militants attacked his residence in the Abbasa Khattak area late Saturday night.

District police spokesperson Qudratullah said the attackers fired rocket launchers at the house of Hamayun, a prominent peace committee member. Hamayun sustained injuries in the attack, while other occupants of the house remained safe.

Police, assisted by armed residents and peace committee volunteers, returned fire, forcing the assailants to retreat. The attackers also opened fire on the Abbasa police post before escaping towards the mountainous border area adjoining Karak district.

Despite being injured, Hamayun, along with other peace committee members, is expected to continue supporting police efforts against militants in the region.

The attack came shortly after a successful police operation in the Takhti Khel area of Lakki Marwat, where six militants, including a commander identified as Nusratullah Wazir, were killed.

Security advisory issued

Meanwhile, police issued a security alert for law enforcement personnel, government officials and the public following intelligence reports indicating possible subversive activities in Lakki Marwat district.

According to the advisory released by the District Police Officer, the TTP’s Teepu Gul Group, allegedly backed by the Hafiz Gul Bahadar group of North Waziristan, was planning a major terrorist attack in the area. The advisory warned that explosive-laden vehicles could be used to target schools, sporting events, markets and large public gatherings.

It noted that the planned attack could resemble a previous incident that occurred in the Shah Hassan Khel area on January 1, 2010. The alert further claimed that militants had begun preparing a vehicle packed with explosives and that a suicide bomber of Afghan nationality was reportedly undergoing training in Afghanistan’s Paktia province.

Police warned that militants might attempt kidnappings or attacks on police personnel and civilians, directing SDPOs and SHOs to place all units on high alert and intensify checks on suspicious vehicles, particularly vans, trucks and pick-ups.

Leave a Comment