Thursday, August 20, 2026
US

U.S. Army Removes Three-Star General From European Command

By Web Desk 5:33 am  |  Aug 11, 2026 No Comments

The U.S. Army has unexpectedly relieved Lt. Gen. Charles Costanza from his position as commander of V Corps, the service confirmed Monday.

The Army did not say exactly when Costanza was removed or explain the circumstances behind the decision. In a statement, however, officials said the issue had been referred to the appropriate authority under Army regulations.

Brig. Gen. John B. Mountford, who serves as V Corps’ deputy commanding general for readiness, has taken over the command on an acting basis.

The Army had previously announced that Maj. Gen. Thomas M. Feltey, who has been selected for promotion to lieutenant general, is expected to become the next V Corps commander at Fort Knox, Kentucky.

Costanza took charge of V Corps in April 2024. Before that assignment, he served as deputy commanding general of U.S. Army Europe and Africa and previously commanded the 3rd Infantry Division.

V Corps plays a major role in the U.S. military presence in Europe, particularly in supporting NATO operations along the alliance’s eastern flank. Its responsibilities include working alongside allied militaries on defensive operations, counter-drone capabilities and long-range weapons systems.

Costanza became the second commander of V Corps after the historic formation was reactivated in October 2020.

His military career began in 1991 when he was commissioned as an armor officer after graduating from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

An Army official told Military Times that Costanza’s removal was not politically motivated and was unrelated to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth.

The leadership change comes during a broader period of senior-level turnover at the Pentagon. Since taking office, Hegseth has overseen the removal or replacement of more than a dozen senior military leaders.

Earlier in July, Gen. Christopher Donahue unexpectedly stepped down from his position leading U.S. Army Europe and Africa. Donahue had previously commanded the XVIII Airborne Corps and the 82nd Airborne Division. The Army likewise did not publicly provide a reason for his departure.

The latest change adds to a period of significant leadership movement within the U.S. military as American forces continue to strengthen their posture and coordination with NATO allies across Europe.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *